Friday, September 19, 2008

Our ManTina

Two days ago, on the way home from taking Evan to Preschool, Conner and his Auntie Shari discovered a huge fat praying mantis on the bricks. Conner said, "mommy please catch it." Ok, how can a mommy say no? I go into the house and get something to catch it with and off to the bushes am I.

Safely caught and no worse for the wear I take the Mantis in the house. We have an unused critter carrier since we are hermit crab owners. Into the tank. Michael is against this. But then again he has just had oral surgery. Well, fast forward we have to pick up Evan and Drop off Conner for Kindergarten. On the way home from drop-off Evan and I stop off to buy some cricket to feed the thing.
OK settle at home. Ready to feed.

MICHAEL!!!!! MICHAEL GET IN HERE!!!!! The gosh darn thing is spewing creamy bubbles from her behind. She is laying eggs. Well hells bells. I did not sign on for that. Ont to the internet to research all of this. What have I gotten myself into? Ok the sac is complete, and so nice and neat I might add. In go the crickets. DANG! They never had a chance. Giving birth can make a praying mantis hungry. We have been back to the pet store a few times for more. She seems to enjoy them.

1 comment:

Christy Franklin said...

oh. my. gosh. i love it. what did you call it? how long till the lovely little babies are crawling out of the vent holes up the top?